Contemplative Intelligence Series – Get out of your Limbic Brain and Heal your life.
Part 2 in our series on Contemplative Intelligence or CQ. This practice is like a meditation except you rather focus on something, in this case or teaching, the word Acceptance. It will simply allow you to get to acceptance in all things and love what is, as it is, but it will also get the word, in this case Acceptance, to become more of a living, real concept that you can use to heal mind, body and soul. When the mind is at ease it becomes creative and far more intelligent on all levels than if it were stressed. It gets you right out of limbic system into prefrontal cortex. It is How to get out of Fight, Flight or Freeze and its simplicity and effectiveness are almost to simple to teach. Muhammed was correct in saying that “one hour of contemplation surpasses 60 years worship”.
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1881–1955) was a proponent of using spirituality, religion and science to heal people and to wake them up from the coma of an un-lived life. He was a Jesuit paleontologist and mystic who said “You can count on me unreservedly to work for the kingdom of God, which is the one thing I keep before my eyes and the one goal to which science leads me.” For Teilhard, there was no dualistic split between science and religion.
It was statements such as these, misinterpreted as pantheism or naturalism, which resulted in the Jesuit superiors prohibiting Teilhard from publishing his works. But he was onto something, something big, that could perhaps start to heal people on a profound level of consciousness. Nonetheless, today, we can begin to use science and religion to heal peoples lives through ‘contemplative Intelligence’. Getting out of your limbic system, learning how to get out of Fight, Flight or Freeze into the prefrontal cortex, with centering practice can do much more, even medically than most may, at first think. We must ‘keep it before our eyes’ daily as Teilhard states.
Dualistic thinking, by the way, is the way most people think and act, it is the “us vs. them” syndrome. It brings to some the internal comfort to know that they are part of the inner circle. They then feel reassured that their thoughts are the correct ones and feel vindicated that they are right and others are wrong. Contemplative Intelligence helps us stop defence mechanisms of blaming and denial from taking hold of our brains, then our thinking and feelings and then our actions on ourselves, others and the world. Pretty scary chain of events, that we can now learn how to manage better.
Practicing daily how to get out of your fight, flight or freeze response is something we teach people that makes a massive difference to their healing and recovery experiences for addictions, depression and anxiety.
How to practice contemplative intelligence
Soon we will show you many ways to practice CQ or contemplative Intelligence. The video below is a small sample of one of hundreds of different practices.
Let to days short video be focused on the colours your acceptance brings you through this contemplative meditation. It is a meditation that brings acceptance, surrender and an all encompassing handing over of our story, as we return to presence and being.
You’ll be asked to become aware of your breathing but don’t change it. It is perfect as it is. Just become aware of it. Instead of zoning out like with meditation, we zone in to a centering thought or phrase. This phrase today is Acceptance. It is a key, as simple as it is, that can hammer peaceful atom bombs at your survival brain, that have the power to make it let go of you. When this happens anxiety lessens. This is the why and How to get out of Fight, Flight or Freeze. If we stay this way for long enough, and practice often enough, you will recreate neural pathways that will send your energy, chi, or shakti through every neural synapse, straight back to your prefrontal cortex, which is located on the exact opposite side of your brain. “Go figure. If you want to change you life around 180 degrees, this may be just how you do it!”, says Mark.
So listen to the video and allow all the images, sensations, feelings and thoughts to stay with you. Change nothing. Just accept it all. Now as we allow our minds to settle into our calmness, we can loose ourselves and the busyness and chatter in the art that has been created for you and now flows through you, and will flow out of you to others again.
We practice contemplative intelligence
to experience and realize
the Self or God within.
This is our practice.
Sit with palms facing up. Be comfortable and sit quietly. Use your backrest or sink into your lounger. Sink into it…as your energy, flow and your vegas nerve is activated.
Finally the simple visual and auditory exercise asks you to see the the truth is this – “that the Universe has been answering you all your life”. The universe is perfect exactly the way it is. We affirm the truth that reality is always kind to me, and further affirm the following:
Awareness is healing.
Acceptance is Healing.
My Actions are healing, and there is nothing I don’t accept. There is nothing that doesn’t accept me. I am acceptance! This is the focus of the contemplative intelligence exercise.
For more information on How to get out of Fight, Flight or Freeze and heal stress, addictions, depression and personality disorders for yourself or a loved one, get in touch today. Call +27824424779 or email email@example.com. We have inpatient private treatment, outpatient options as well as online options and courses. Don’t stay stuck!! Namaskaram
Learning how to use his methods of Contemplative Intelligence or CQ for healing, even long standing conditions or life blocks, can change not only your thinking in a short period of time, but also your entire neurological chemistry if practiced over time. Healing with Contemplative Intelligence or CQ is a force to be reckoned with and is a necessary response to the obsessive and compulsive thinking that leads to many, if not most, mental and emotional health issues today. Contemplative Intelligence shows us how to switch off Survival Brain for success and healing in life. Fast.
These practices of healing with Contemplative Intelligence or CQ are simple, and are highly focused around mindful awareness that pull you out of your limbic system of egoic defense mechanisms of fight, flight and freeze and push you towards your prefrontal cortex where creativity, empathy and ingenuity reign supreme. This exercise is known as practicing contemplative fitness and shows that mindset is far more powerful than any knowledge we can gather to help us heal. The more reps you do each day, the better your outcomes will be.
What is Contemplative Intelligence
Whilst in the life of the intellect ‘contemplation‘ refers to thinking profoundly about something, in the religious life contemplation is a kind of inner vision or seeing, transcendent of the intellect, facilitated by means of practices such as prayer or meditation. To our clients it refers to living an authentic life on purpose and with meaning. Contemplative practice is about ending your own suffering. It is about awareness and conscious involvement in living a good life on this planet. Even if you choose a simple one. Contemplative Intelligence work or therapy if you will, yields a kind of knowing which changes the whole of one’s life. Yep, expect changes physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. This movement of heart and mind, ignites a love stronger than anxiety, depression addictions or even death and illuminates the mind with the very splendors of God realization and self actualization.
Contemplation goes through stages from gross to subtle that end in pure knowing and away from limited or retracted consciousness. Healing with Contemplative Intelligence or CQ is a process that basically looks like this, in its simplest form:
Focus your awareness on a thought
Deeper quiet reflection comes in
Intuitive wisdom that is not verbal, visual or auditory is connected to
Formless knowing is what it all about. You can’t see your spirit can you, or your emotions, but we know they are there. Contemplative Intelligence works on connecting all these things together.
Contemplative Practice “rewires” our brains to think non-dually with compassion, kindness, and a lack of attachment to the ego’s preferences. In contemplative prayer we move beyond language to experience ourselves, others and God as Mystery. We let go of our needs that turn into obsessions, to judge, defend, or evaluate, by plugging into the mind of God Consciousness.
In some traditions, one of the focuses of contemplation is the Mahavakyas as described in the Upanishads. It is also a very Christian tradition that we follow. Mark says that “you will find the roots of contemplation in all religious and spiritual traditions. Take yoga for example, it is virtual contemplative intelligence in ecstatic motion!” Yoga means union and that’s what Contemplative Intelligence does. It unifies you with you, then you with others, and then the earth and nature and then with God, in no specific order that is. It is a beautiful healing practice that changes lives from day one. Everyone should learn the art and practice of contemplation today and Healing with Contemplative Intelligence or CQ is available to everyone.
Mark has developed methods of Healing with Contemplative Intelligence or CQ, that are really helping people get out of their minds and their stuckness fast! No one is beyond help and we find that the million year old brain, really has a ton of people trapped in obsessive and panic stricken thinking. It creates a mess over time and eventually people get so lost or confused, and so sick and dis-eased that they eventually seek psychiatric or drug rehab center styled help. It is such a pity that so many people wait for rock bottom!
Contemplative Intelligence is not only for the depressed or anxious among us. It is used as an advanced relaxation technique, similar to meditation or mindfulness. There is no doubt it creates a success mindset that is sustainable – that’s the big difference. Most suggestion or motivation based therapies tend to drop off over time. With Contemplative Intelligence or CQ it becomes a lifestyle and a spiritual journey all at once. Centring Prayer and many mindfulness skills have helped people become more relaxed, more creative in their field and more healthy in body, mind and spirit. The data is out there and you will be hearing more about Healing with Contemplative Intelligence or CQ as the years role by. We teach it as a kind of gym, that is done daily. We do mental and emotional reps. We combine this work with other psychological and body, emotions work and the results are actually mind-blowing and beyond any of our earlier expectations. The work is done online and at our Center.
What we have figured out, after 23 years of learning at, looking into and working with people is one of our main goals to get out there – DON’T STAY STUCK! We find it incredibly heart-breaking that so many people live for years or even half or almost all of their lives with depression, borderline, addictions, anxiety, personality issues and many other emotional and psychological issues that make the quality of their lives really low. People sit on chat forums and complain about their conditions, sure, but they seem to have lost the hope of healing and making their conditions much better. Which we believe can be done, all or if not all, then almost all the time.
We have never met someone who was willing and open to treatment that hasn’t become more healthy and well and benefited from healing treatment. Not one. We live by the notion that you get what you ask for, but only every time! SO it really does work if you work it. If you don’t work it, yes, you will more than likely stay stuck for longer. There is always hope and miracles happened daily, and by the drove at our Healing Center – people who haven’t seen it, are not aware of how radical and freely available healing can be today. It is everywhere, in many forms. So don’t stay stuck, connect and get the help for the depression or the addiction or the anxiety or what have you. These issues are all more common and inter-related than you may think.
Email Mark for information on the 12 week Healing with Contemplative Intelligence or CQ courses that can be done at our Center for Healing and Life Transformation, established in 2012, or online. Contemplative Intelligence has been developed as a core principle of the healing work of Mark L Lockwood(BA)(hons)(psy) in healing depression, anxiety, addictions, trauma and personality disorders.
For more information on Contemplative Intelligence or CQ call +27824424779 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Heal addictions, depression, eating disorders or your stress and traumas with our registered team of consultant professionals.
What does it matter if a parent is a Narcissist? Children have to survive and because they need to do that, it is built into them to be as sharp as nails. Looking at Narcissistic Families – 7 dysfunctional character roles families play, oftentimes freaks people out. It doesn’t take long to see these patterns in your own family. Even if you’re not expecting to see them on your own side of the street. The emotional stuff they cannot make sense of or handle, gets suppressed or distorted until they are mature enough to process it all and place it in their brains appropriate memory folder, as they lay these matters from childhood to rest. Seven dysfunctional character roles families play: The Hero, Golden Child or Conformer The Scapegoat The Mascot or Jester The Enabler, Rescuer or Orbiting Parent The Victim The Lost Child The Narcissist, Bully or Persecutor A narcissist parent won’t acknowledge the child’s feelings.
Narcissistic Families – 7 dysfunctional character roles families play come out for all to see in plain sight. They will compete with the child so as not to be out done. This kind of parent will constantly send mixed messages, manipulate, often blatantly lie and play mind games with the children to get their way and maintain control. In response the children will learn to seek external validation rather than internal. Drug addiction for example, may be one such outcome. The children will feel neglected, abused and may even suffer symptoms of emotional incest. Their self esteem will take a bad, long term blow and trauma work in a therapists chair will more often than not be the intervention needed to escape the cycle. Lest the next generation falls prey to the consequences of Narcissistic Families – 7 dysfunctional character roles families play.
Thus, the child will not be able to build feelings of trust. Trust is what all relationships are built on. “The typical adult from a narcissistic family is filled with unacknowledged anger, feels like a hollow person, feels inadequate and defective, suffers from periodic anxiety and depression, and has no clue about how he or she got that way.” —Pressman and Pressman, The Narcissistic Family Work on the trauma egg is ideal for people who want to explore some of their own therapeutic work at home or by themselves. This and other exercises can be used from Marks book Auto Therapy, How to Heal your own life. It is available directly from Mark, the websites or Amazon.
How to avoid Narcissistic Families – 7 dysfunctional character roles families play
1. Honesty. Nothing works better at healing this and almost all other negative family systems models. Just don’t keep secretes betwixt and between, spoken or unspoken. Speak up and speak honestly. Nothing will develop more healthy mechanisms, rules and roles than this.
2. Forget the family image. Just settle on a normative and honest image. Don’t fake it.
3. Be open and communicate properly. Keeping secrets keeps families sick.
4. Don’t triangulate. Parents must be parents and siblings and kids must be what they are. Don’t make them what they are not, even if they are willing to play mom or day, it doesn’t work. Create clear boundaries and decent family hierarchies, that are open and positive.
5. Don’t play the blame game. Be quick to forgive and move on. Each day anew is sunshine for the soul.
6. All family members need permission to fail, permission to succeed, to be, to grow and learn.
7. Seek a spiritual path and follow spiritual principles. When healing starts these principles will already be in place.
8. Flexible families flourish. Don’t minimize the rigid, authoritarian parent. It is known to be the most damaging kind of parent there is on the planet. Yes, it is even worse than a parent who ignores the child and let’s them do what they want. We meet so many people in therapy who are over policed and over parented by authoritarians. It can create the worst kind of trouble for the child and the family. Authoritarian or Narcissistic? You decide on definitions as they apply to your family.
One parent can be narcissistic and the other parent can be the enabler or the rescuer while the child in the middle ends up as the victim. The Narcissist smashes the confidence, tells weak, stupid, less than the others. The enabler pacifies, protects, coerces and manipulates the other family members to keep homeostasis. But the sad and sorry judgements of the narcissist are too harsh. The critic strikes fear into their victims, as narcissists do and dominates this way. Not even a word has to be spoken family rules and triangulation and family systems all make it unfold until the goal is met. Ego of narcists is fed by the compliant and not so compliant. By the hero’s the scapegoats and the lost ones.
When a parent or caregiver, or even a child that has grown up and through a traumatic upbringing in a narcissistic family, the best thing you can do is start to confront the issues head on. Do the work personally and get into therapy and heal. Don’t minimize the issues, as it is very likely they will persist. Worse still that the issues will be passed on, like some sick, hereditary curse. The good news, please don’t discredit the good news is that good traits, attitudes, talents, rules and roles are also passed down through families. They can be much more powerful in adulthood than any disease or trauma that one may have had to bear. Yes, this is all very treatable and curable. So don’t stay stuck. Get help from professionals, outside of the family circle, away from the silent and some not so silent rules and roles of the narcissistic family system.
Imagine of perfection and normalcy is goal to outside world. Feelings are not spoken about and oftentimes ignored.
For more information on Narcissistic Families – 7 dysfunctional character roles families play get in touch. We are here to help people with many different online options to help them go beyond what keeps them stuck. Our ~centre for healing and life transformation is also available to help those people move past depression, borderline and other personality disorders, stress, addictions and stickiness. Call +27824424779 or email email@example.com
Early in the Spiritual Story of the Velveteen Rabbit that you see below, the Rabbit meets the Skin Horse who consciously awakens the rabbit when he explains, “Real isn’t how you were made, it’s a thing that happens to you.” The story is about the journey of the Velveteen Rabbit learning about love and what it means to become real; a story that reflects the human sojourn we all take to discover our authentic selves. “All of us have an innate drive within us to become real, authentic and whole. We must never forget that life has corners to turn, and bumpy roads to navigate.
If we are not mindful of this we may never see the light beyond the darkness, that manifests through living a life of purpose…when the rabbit is loved authentically he becomes just that – his real, authentic self,” says Mark L Lockwood. “It doesn’t happen all at once,” said the Skin Horse. “You become. It takes a long time. That’s why it doesn’t happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly, except to people who don’t understand.”
So, think about it. Have you ever thought that just maybe you’re locked into a real life story. It’s a story about love, life, death and transformation. It’s a story about overcoming and whether you know it or not, you’re the main character in the spiritual Story of the Velveteen Rabbit right now? “Once you are real, you can’t become unreal again. It lasts for always.”
“It doesn’t happen all at once,” said the Skin Horse. “You become. It takes a long time. That’s why it doesn’t happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly, except to people who don’t understand.”
Let’s consider what it means to immerse ourselves in the experience of soul-making, to be enchanted, to open ourselves to the multiplicity present in every moment. The Skin Horse tells us that When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with you, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.
Life and The Spiritual Story of the Velveteen Rabbit alike are a journey through the dark night of the soul…..the story says the Skin Horse Teaches that you are loved into being. Which is true of life. So it is a paradigm shift from one state of being to another.
By the time you are real most of your hair has been loved off, but these things don’t really matter. Cause you can’t be ugly when you’re loved by someone.
A SUMMARY OF THE STORY
A stuffed rabbit sewn from velveteen is given as a Christmas present to a small boy. The boy plays with his other new presents and forgets the velveteen rabbit for a time. These presents are modern and mechanical, and they snub the old-fashioned velveteen rabbit. The wisest and oldest toy in the nursery, the Skin Horse, which was owned by the boy’s uncle, tells the rabbit about toys magically becoming real due to love from children. The rabbit is awed by this idea, however his chances of achieving this wish are slight.
One night, the boy’s grandmother gives the rabbit to the boy to sleep with, in place of a lost toy. The rabbit becomes the boy’s favorite toy, enjoying picnics with him in the spring, and the boy regards the rabbit as real. Time passes and the rabbit becomes shabbier, but happy. It meets some real rabbits in the summer, and they learn that the velveteen rabbit cannot hop as they do, and they say that he is not a real rabbit.
One day, the boy comes down with scarlet fever, and the rabbit sits with him as he recovers. The doctor orders that the boy should be taken to the seaside and that his room should be disinfected — all his books and toys burnt, including the velveteen rabbit. The rabbit is bundled into a sack and left out in the garden overnight, where he reflects sadly on his life with his boy. The toy rabbit cries, a real tear drops onto the ground, and a marvellous flower appears. A fairy steps out of the flower and comforts the velveteen rabbit, introducing herself as the Nursery Magic Fairy. She says that, because he has become real to the boy who truly loves him, she will take him away with her and “turn [him] into Real” to everyone.
The fairy takes the rabbit to the forest, where she meets the other rabbits and gives the velveteen rabbit a kiss. The velveteen rabbit changes into a real rabbit and joins the other rabbits in the forest. The next spring, the rabbit returns to look at the boy, and the boy sees a resemblance to his old velveteen rabbit. And that is The Spiritual Story of the Velveteen Rabbit
14 things we can learn from the Spiritual Story of the Velveteen Rabbit
There is a skin horse for everyone, you need to look each sojourner needs a guide.
Life is a process – There will be shifts in life. Nothing stays the same.
It is going to hurt, not all at once, but it will be worth it in the end
Looks are not everything
Once you become real you can never go back to unreal. You cannot wake up and fall asleep again.
Appearances Can Be Deceiving
When someone else truly loves you for who you are, then you become real. Living from your true self is not a solo event. A relationship of unconditional love at the deepest center of your being is the heart of the matter in authentic living.
Dreams Come with Risk. Velveteen Rabbit seeks love because he believes it will make him real.
Never forget life’s lessons, like the rabbit remembers his friend, the boy.
Story teaches us to overcome the fear. We can ask questions to ready ourselves…but it is happening, the story is unfolding the transformation is real and a matter of time. when not if.
You become more in life, it is something that happens to everybody, just not in the way we expect it to happen.
Love is making you real. Not the hurt and trauma they necessary are pointers only, pain is a pointer and suffering.
Once you are real, you cannot be ugly – no matter if a few people don’t understand and judge you that way. Living from your authentic self is a work of magnificent beauty that comes from within. Your physical appearance is not part of the equation.
We project our need for love and acceptance on the other and expect a certain response. Some people make a habit of doing this with many people (spreading the expectancy around) while others reserve it for only a few (or maybe one…or none) but ultimately we are all seeking a mirror. The difficult lesson to integrate is that no matter what the other person reflects back to us it still is self informing self.
For more information on healing your life or The Spiritual Story of the Velveteen Rabbit get in touch today. Heal your life. Don’t stay stuck in any disorders whether it be depression, addictions, anxiety, personality disorders or what have you. Healing is available at our center in South Africa and there are multiple online products that will keep you in touch and intune, and most importantly on a spiritual journey of meaning.
Mark L Lockwood (BA)(hons)(psy) is an addiction psychology specialist in addiction, depression and trauma counselling for the last 23 has oftentimes begged the question of which are half decent treatment centres. The top 10 drug rehabilitation centres in South Africa is a list complied by reputation, friendliness, usability and treatment services that they offer. Mark has consulted in interviews on televisions eNCA news, Talk Radio 702 news and in many publications such as Woman’s Health Magazine, Dischem Magazine and many more.
We are reminded to remember that you don’t go to a drug rehab center for a holiday. In fact if that’s your goal, you’re probably wasting your time and money. If you’re going because you need, more than anything, to get clean time and sobriety, then you need to be sure of what you’re going to get for your buck. So here is the list of Top 10 drug rehab centres in South Africa 2020, based on how likely they are to get you the results you need.
Top 10 drug rehab centres
1. Houghton House Addiction Recovery Center GAUTENG- A professional centre, this drug rehab is the real thing. It’s super professional and run like a clinic. All the relevant staff are on duty to helkp you and you can be sure that you’re getting therapy from professionals, something that doesn’t always happen at all treatment centres. Here they look below the surface of commonly abused drugs and types of therapy to delve into abuse treatment detail that can complicate and contribute to self-harming addictive behaviour patterns. If it’s an issue of dealing and struggling with mental health, bipolar disorder, eating disorders or even mental illness. What we like most about this place it is that they do all phases of treatment. Primary care, outpatient and tertiary care and long term care which people need to get clean. Medical aid supported to cover some treatment costs. https://www.houghtonhouse.co.za/ Call 079 770 7532
2. Recovery Centre at White River – The centre seems a little out of the way, but it’s only a couple of hours out of Joburg and seems like it’s worth the travel. It is quite a big centre, located in a bush like setting out of town and makes you feel as if you’re in the Kruger Park on Safari. With experienced psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, and professional nurses on staff, they offer a truly multidisciplinary approach to recovery. It’s a professional set-up and is importantly pretty affordable. Included on the team are people who have walked their own road of recovery and are able to guide others to freedom through sharing their own experiences. Getting a good reputation for a no-nonsense but friendly approach to drug rehab center care is why they make it onto our Top 10 drug rehab centres in South Africa 2020. https://www.whiteriverrecovery.co.za/ Call +27 (0) 76 350 9868
3. Harmony CAPE PROVINCE – known as a compassionate and caring bunch of people. They offer holistic therapy for substance abuse that helps people to rebuild their lives and return home to their loved ones. Harmony drug rehab centre treats people suffering from the chronic and progressive addiction to alcohol, heroin, cocaine, ecstasy, marijuana, tik, prescription drugs, as well as food, sex, gambling and other process addictions. Located in sunny Cape Town, there is little not to like about this one, and I’ve had many good reports over the years from people who attended their programs, so that gets them on the list. They also have one of the only detox units around that are legal. Most centres are required to use clinics or hospitals licensed to do detox. https://harmonyclinic.co.za/ Call: +27 (0)21 790 7779
4. Pathways Addiction Treatment Program CAPE PROVINCE – this is our very own drug rehab program. It makes it on the list because it is one of a kind, experiential treatment program in South Africa. It’s a homely non-clinical environment, with small intimate numbers, that offers a mature person centred experience. People keep their cell phones and laptops, go on excursions, work, chat to family and go out to dinners and lunches. It moved away from being a drug rehab centre to fit people who don’t like, want or feel they need the strict, clinical approach but want to heal addictions, emotional issues and anxiety as well as dual diagnosis issues. The product is intensive, world-class therapy offered by registered professional addiction treatment specialists but without having to do the whole rehab living story. http://pathwaysplettrehab.co.za/ Call +2782 442 4779
5. Healing Wings Youth Drug Rehab Centre NELSPRUIT – Healing Wings make it on the list because of their mammoth youth rehabilitation centre. It’s massive. They are the only centre in South Africa that combines treatment and schooling for the youth in one location. The rehabilitation program is based on a daily routine designed to encourage the residents to contribute to all facets of social interaction and normal behavioural patterns, with the aim of gaining self-confidence and respect. Guidance is provided in a personal and caring environment in which the residents receive unconditional support in their recovery. Long term treatment is at the core of this drug program https://www.healingwings.co.za/ Call +27 72 140 6081
6. The Cedars Drug Rehab Centre NATAL – A pretty hardcore program according to some people. They set you straight is what we hear, and they do it fast! I’ve spoken to many of their ex-clients over the years and just never seem to get any complaints about this rehab. It also seems that they have a darn good success record for getting long term results. It’s also 12 step treatment like most of the centres in the country. But they offer team building challenges, excursions to 12 Step meetings, regular exercise, good food and most of all an opportunity to create platonic, recovery-orientated friendships. Their modus operandi is that every client is a new adventure and hopefully, a new way of life. https://thecedars.co.za/ +27 72 378 8013.
7. Akeso Stepping Stones – KOMMETJIE WESTERN CAPE – Akeso Stepping Stones is run by a big group with a bunch of clinics and centres dotted throughout the country. We like this because it’s a real clinic, not just a house, like so many rehab centres are. So yes, it’s the real thing and they have a pretty good rep for getting the job done right. Akeso have psychiatric hospitals that are staffed by a wide range of medical professionals, including psychiatrists, psychologists, occupational therapists, social workers, pharmacists and nurses, all of whom ensure the best possible outcome for patients and their loved ones. So if you’re after a formal, clinical and professional drug rehab experience, then this is probably the spot for you. Remember that arguably about half or more drug rehabs are just homes that house addicts, regardless of what the websites may look like! They make it onto our Top 10 drug rehab centres in South Africa 2020 because they’re the real deal, and a resource that many people prefer. https://www.akeso.co.za/clinic/Akeso-Stepping-Stones Call +27 73 620 0826
8. Serenity Cares – WESTERN CAPE. We’ve always referred a ton of people to this rehab centre. It’s super disciplined, great for younger adults in our opinion. The centre has a historical reputation for being harsh. But harsh can be necessary, and is subjective at times, it gets through the defence mechanisms and is oftentimes required. Any first timers, or difficult cases should start at this rehab centre. End of story. At the end of the day they do care, a lot. They also get people clean and sober and try and keep them that way. Serenity has waged years of war against substance and has absolutely no intention of surrendering. They adopt an “all welcome” policy and only in the most extreme case will we have to refer patients elsewhere. This drug rehab approach the disease of addiction with loving discipline and have a ‘lead by example’ attitude. http://serenitycares.co.za/ Call Tel (044) 343 1395
9. South Coast Recovery Centre – NATAL. South Coast Recovery Centre delivers comprehensive, individualised programmes of varying lengths, to accommodate a variety of personal circumstances. They have plenty of different programs and everything is pretty much 12 step based. It is a real-deal centre, not a small house. This is a big, really professional drug rehab centre. Nurses, doctors and psychiatrists on staff. So professional help is always at hand, something smaller centres can’t always offer.
South Coast Recovery Centre has been acknowledged as the benchmark for recovery centres by the Department of Social Development, which doesn’t say that much. But the center is a no-nonsence, get ready to recover place. If it’s recovery you need and you’re willing, there is no doubt your rehab experience will be a success at this place. https://www.southcoastrecoverycentre.co.za/ Call +27 72 545 5414
10. Noupoort – KAROO/COLSBERG Noupoort definitely make it onto the list as controversial as it may be to many people, who may feel it is a little down market. But when it comes to treatment, please remember you don’t want a hotel stay for you or your loved one, you want the place and the people to save your life. Nowhere else is as affordable and it opens its doors to people at about a tenth of the cost of a regular private drug rehab center. So they are an invaluable asset to the country. They offer long term treatment mostly. Despite the founder dying in May last year, the centre continues to help people form all walks of life get to grips with the realities of addiction – something can be easier said than done. Without this drug rehab center, many people would have lost their lives to the disease. Some addicts don’t really want the treatment and end up floating around at one rehab centre after another. This won’t happen here. Anyone who has wasted their money or time, or that of their parents before at a regular rehab needs to go here. If it is drug addiction treatment and lasting recovery that you need, and no mainstream places seem to work, are affordable or accessible then this is your best bet. https://www.noupoort.co.za/ CALL 081 394 4815
So that is our Top 10 drug rehab centres in South Africa 2020 list for this year.
There are many ways to skin a cat and a clinical, registered clinic is not for everyone. There are psychologists and counselors you can go and see. There are addiction treatment specialists and even life coaches that have helped many people out of the nightmare that is addiction. More and more there are spiritual courses, wellness retreats and other spiritual, emotional and holistic experiences out there that are getting great results from addiction treatment. The landscape is always changing, developing and growing. Addiction treatment centres need to adapt with the flow. Many centres use people and programs that are ‘addicted’ in many ways to their one way, punitive, 12 step only treatment philosophies. Dismal 5-20 percent recovery rates across the board, after 12 months of recovery care, show that things need to change and advance in the field of substance abuse and dual diagnosis treatment. So a search for drug rehab centres near me or drug rehab centres western cape for example is not enough investigation into the subject of which rehab to choose.
The main suggestion we can make to you today is that addiction is treatable. You can stop it chop-chop with the right professional help, that comes in many shapes and forms. Don’t stay stuck in addictions or depression and start a treatment program today. For more information on the Top 10 drug rehab centres in South Africa 2020 email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.markllockwood.com